Landline-based medical alert systems have a solid reputation for keeping seniors safe at home–and for a good reason. There’s no need to worry about any batteries dying, no complicated devices to use, and lapses in cell service won’t affect coverage in any way.
But if your elderly loved one lives an active lifestyle, mobile medical alert systems can provide protection on the go. These systems use GPS to track their location and send services directly to them in an emergency.
Whereas landline systems only cover a specific zone around the home, mobile medical alerts are portable and allow your loved one to call for help wherever they go.
Knowing that they’re protected when they go for walks, take trips to the grocery store, and hang out with friends can work wonders for their mental and physical health. This freedom can boost your loved one’s confidence and give them the ability to live life on their terms.
Below we’ll be taking a look at some of the best mobile medical alert systems that can empower your senior to live actively.
1. Philips Lifeline GoSafe
Philips Lifeline was the first company to sell medical alert systems in North America, and in terms of subscribers, they’re the industry leader.
In addition to their home-based devices, they offer the GoSafe mobile medical alert system. GoSafe comes with a wearable pendant with a rechargeable battery and several convenient features:
- Fall detection – If your senior has a fall and can’t push the help button, Philips’ AutoAlert automatically connects them to the call monitoring center.
- 2-way communication – The GoSafe pendant allows your loved one to communicate back and forth with dispatchers.
- Location technology – This advanced mobile medical alert system uses GPS, Wi-Fi, location history, and an audio beacon to pinpoint your loved one’s location.
As far as pricing goes, GoSafe costs $49.95 a month, including a $99.95 device fee. No matter where your senior’s active life takes them, help is always a button press away with the GoSafe system.
2. MobileHelp Solo & Smartwatch
MobileHelp is relatively new to the medical alert space, but they’re taking advantage of the growing mobile technology market.
As opposed to landlines, MobileHelp uses AT&T service to connect users with help outside the home. They offer a mobile medical alert system and a Samsung smartwatch-style device with the following perks:
- Mobile system – two-way communication, GPS tracking, cellular triangulation, water-resistant pendant, 24-hour battery life, and fall detection for an extra $10 a month.
- Smartwatch device – two-way communication, GPS tracking, Wi-Fi, water-resistant, and 48-hour battery life, but no fall detection capability.
These systems also come with unique features like medication reminders, a caregiver app so you can monitor your loved one’s location, and non-emergency status alerts.
The smartwatch is a great option for tech-savvy seniors, but it does come with a hefty one-time $349.95 device fee, along with the $24.95 monthly subscription price.
If you opt for the mobile system, you won’t have to worry about any start-up costs, just the $37.95 monthly fee. There are also no extra charges for cell service, as the system uses nationwide coverage provided by AT&T.
3. LifeStation Mobile Medical Alert System With GPS
Like the MobileHelp system, LifeStation Mobile harnesses the AT&T network to provide precise location services and peace of mind:
- Find My Loved One – This feature allows you as the caregiver to locate your senior at any time with a simple text message.
- Advanced fall detection – LifeStation Mobile’s fall detection system uses accelerometers, barometric sensors, and a complex algorithm to detect falls and distinguish them from accidental drops.
- Shower ready – Unlike the other devices we’ve discussed so far, this system is fully waterproof, so your senior can comfortably shower while wearing their pendant.
- Battery life for days – The battery in this system lasts for up to five days, reducing the need for charging.
At $37.95 a month, this mobile medical alert system can give your loved one the gift of worry-free independence.
Bonus Mobile Safety System: The Rescu App
When a fall happens, there’s no time to waste. Every second spent talking with emergency dispatchers is a second that help could be on the way.
The Rescu app is the only system on the market that sends you the help you need without saying a word.
You can immediately dispatch emergency services to your address, alert any emergency contacts, and inform responders of your medical history and relevant conditions with just two taps on your cell phone. That means no expensive device fees to worry about.
And with subscriptions starting as low as $7 a month, Rescu is far kinder to your budget than the mobile medical alert systems we covered today.
Its intuitive design is easy to learn and easier to use, so you won’t have any trouble calling for help when you need it.
And with GPS location services coming soon, the Rescu app is poised to become a top contender in the mobile alert system space. Download on the Apple Store or Google Play today!